On Thursday I completed the first round of monthly performance reviews with each of our Divisions (except for Surgery) and clinical departments. I learnt a lot through the conversations we had. Here are some of my reflections.
- We are doing some amazing work across the hospital. Many of the teams I met were able to describe lots of big achievements in the previous months.
- There are some big challenges ahead. The most important are firstly responding to the growing population served by the hospital. Many departments are reporting growth in demand – some of it significant. Second, we must ensure that we grow the numbers of staff at the hospital. Over the next 12 months I want to see a big increase so that we keep pace with demand.
- There are some opportunities to improve the links between different parts of the hospital. We came across a number of areas where one department or service was dealing with a problem that another department or service area could help them with. We need to work out how we can connect things a bit better so we are in a better position to help and support each other.
- Everyone I met was really proud of their achievements. This wasn’t about being boastful – it was more that people felt that progress was being made and they wanted to share the good news.
- We could do with finding a way to share the really good things that are being done – so that everyone can share in the successes. I’ll share some thinkingabout how we could do this next week.
So overall, although we have got some challenges in front of us – you can be very proud to be part of team at Al Wakra Hospital. I certainly am.
Wishing you and your family special good wishes as we start the holy month.